Statutory Requirements for Careers Education in Schools
“The Government’s careers strategy, published on 4 December 2017, sets out a long term plan to build a world class careers system that will help young people and adults choose the career that is right for them.” - DfE Statutory Guidance 2018
DfE Statutory Guidance updated in October 2018 sets out the requirements and expectations of schools.
The document is available to download here.
“To achieve this aim, the careers strategy sets out that every school and academy providing secondary education should use the Gatsby Charitable Foundation’s Benchmarks to develop and improve their careers provision.” - DfE Statutory Guidance 2018
In summary, these benchmarks are:
- A stable careers programme
- Learning from career and labour market information
- Addressing the needs of each pupil
- Linking curriculum learning to careers
- Encounters with employers and employees
- Experiences of workplaces
- Encounters with further and higher education
- Personal guidance
The Careers Leaders are Miss Kay Henson (KS4 and Outreach) and Mrs Emma Weston (KS5 and Curriculum). Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.