The King's (The Cathedral) School


Sports Round-up w/c 15 October

Netball, Football & Rugby Results


The Year 9 team played The Peterborough School and Hampton College this week, winning 18-5 and 20-5 respectively. Players of the Match were Lydia Hilton, Anna Jackson and Hannah Barkshire.

The Year 10 team also played The Peterborough School and Hampton, with final scores of 31-3 and 14-7 in our favour. Players of the Match were Sophie Haste and Rebecca O'Sullivan.

The Senior team travelled to Cambridge to take part in the County Tournament. Playing the likes of Hills Road Sixth Form College and the Perse School, it was a tough but enjoyable tournament. The girls improved as the day wore on, taking wins against Wisbech Grammar School and King’s Ely. Player of the tournament was Iris Powell who worked tirelessly at Centre all day.


The Year 7 Football teamThe highlight of the week was an 11-0 win for the 1st XI against Thomas Deacon Academy. Too many scorers to mention but Man of the Match was Ben Lovejoy who provided six assists. In addition, Year 7 won 5-0 against TDA, captain Olly Baldaro scored 4 goals and was Man of the Match, with Jonathan Aig-Imuru scoring the other goal.

Year 9 won 2-1 against the same opposition with goals from Year 8s Charlie Jacobs and Dan Tarver; Man of the Match was Francis Buckle. The only slight disappointment was a 2-1 defeat for the Year 10 team, despite dominating the game, but they came up against an outstanding goalkeeper who made a string of fine saves.

Overall this week – King’s 19, TDA 3!


The Year 9 Rugby teamThe Year 9 rugby team played Hinchingbrooke School in the quarter-final of the County Cup this week. A poor start to the game led to Hinchingbrooke running in four unanswered tries to take a 26-0 lead at half time. The second half performance was much better with tries from Duncan Hoyland, Jack Wakefield-Lilly and Joe Green, together with one successful kick from Eddie Brennan, but it was too little too late with the final score 45-17. Man of the Match was David Ochular.

The 1st XV played Birchwood High School in a Cambridgeshire U18 league game. Another poor start saw the boys 12 points down before they really started playing, and George Davison running a good line to cross for King’s first try, which was converted by Declan Green to make the score 12-7. A Birchwood penalty was added before half time to make the score 15-7 at the break. Ben Fitzjohn forced his way over the line to score his first try, again converted by Declan to bring King’s within one point. Some ferocious tackling and direct running from both teams soon took its toll with Birchwood adding another try and penalty kick to stretch their lead to 23-14. King’s didn’t give up the fight and Ben Fitzjohn crossed over for his second try, but again it was too little too late with the final score an agonising 23-19 loss! Man of the Match was George Davison.

The Year 10 rugby team played Hampton College in the fist of two finals against the same opposition this week, with Year 11 also facing them. The Year 10s had all the attacking play in the first half and eased to a 24-0 half time score with a hat-trick of tries from Jebreel Younis and one for Toby Charlton, which was a great individual score from long range. Felix Anderson converted two of his kicks. Hampton rallied in the second half and came out fighting, scoring two tries before King’s woke up again. King’s added four more second half tries with scores from Kelvin Benjamin, Angus Bowling, Dylan Fuller and George Harrison, with Felix adding another two conversions in a Man of the Match performance from him. The final score was 48-17 and a well-deserved victory.

In their final, the Year 11 team started positively with Jack Tyers scoring an early try. Hampton hit back with a try, before Simon Busk touched down on his debut to put King’s back in the lead. Jack then scored another three unanswered tries, with Sam Gardiner converting three kicks to make the half time score 31-17. The second half was much closer, with both teams increasing their defence and only managing one converted try apiece. The final score was 38-17 to King’s.