We are inviting nominations to stand for election as a parent governor
At The King’s (The Cathedral) School we have provision for four parent governors, and there are currently four vacancies with effect from 31 August 2018. The term of office for a parent governor is four years (although a governor can resign from office at any time).
The Headteacher has overall responsibility for the running of the school. Governing boards have three core strategic functions:
- ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- holding the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff;
- overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
No special qualifications are needed and the most important thing is to have a keen interest in the School and be prepared to play an active part in the Board’s work. However, we would particularly welcome nominations from parents with the following skills:
- human resources and personnel;
- experience of panel review processes;
- university admissions and post-18 routes to employment and higher education.
Training is available free of charge for all governors and the Board of Governors has an expectation that those new to being a governor attend induction training.
The document listed below summarises the circumstances under which someone cannot serve as a governor.
Nominations must be from parents or carers with children at the School on the first day of the elections on 25 June 2018.
If you would like to stand for election, please complete the nomination form (below) and return it to the Main School Reception no later than Friday 22 June. You may also include a short personal statement to support your nomination, which should be no longer than 250 words.
If there are more nominations than vacancies, the election will be by secret ballot. If that is necessary, voting papers will be sent to all parents together with details of the ballot procedure.
If elected, you will be asked to complete a Governor Information Form (including declaration) and to participate in an induction process.